The Heart of Discipleship…
Discipleship is a lifelong journey of obedience to Christ, which transforms a person’s values and behavior, and results in ministry in one’s home, church, and the world. Such a journey is taken not in giant leaps, but one step at a time. The value of Discipleship training is that it can help people take their next steps of growth.
Without proper and consistent training and athlete loses strength. The same is true of a Christian. To be an effective Christian one must study the Word of God, train in the skills of Christian living and service, and exercise these skills through service. The Biblical foundation for Discipleship is found in Ephesians 4:11-13.
There are two types of needs:
(1) Individual member needs.
- Developing a Christian life-style; Christian stewardship of time, talents, and treasure.
- Developing skills in witnessing, teaching, and serving.
- Applying Christian behavior in family life.
- Christian Doctrine.
(2) Needs of the church as a whole.
- Members discovering and developing their spiritual gifts.
- Worship experiences that result in spiritual growth.
- Members equipped with ministry skills.
- Trained witnesses.
To meet these needs, our Discipleship ministry offers two types of training:
- New Church Member Training
- Church Member Training
The Discipleship Ministry of Southwest Baptist Church will involve planned growth experiences that will help Christians grow in Christ-likeness in their ability to apply Biblical truth to every area of life.